Today I wish my Nana a very happy 103rd birthday! (July 3, 2015) This occasion calls for a very special card, and inspiration struck early one morning. I’ve always loved crazy quilts, and have wanted to make one for years. What better time to learn how than on a card for Nan?
First, I selected five fabrics from my stash (I won’t say how long they have been there!)
Then I selected an envelope from another stash and cut a 5 1/2″ x 8″ card out of Domtar 110lb cardstock to fit.
Since I had five fabrics, I drew four lines on a 5 1/2″ x 8″ piece of paper to make five shapes.
Before cutting up my template I copied the drawing. This came in handy as a placement guide later. (Now where are my good paper scissors?!)
I arranged the fabric the order I found pleasing.
Then I cut out the pieces with a large seam allowance.
Now for a foundation piece out of muslin with a 1″ border.
Once that was cut I marked the outline of the card onto the muslin.
Using my guide and the template piece, I positioned the centre piece of fabric onto the foundation, and lined up second template piece.
I laid the yellow piece of fabric face down so that the stitching line would line up with the edge of the centre piece.
Pinned and being stitched.
Pressed flat. Now both pieces are anchored to the foundation.
Picking out the stitching when I realizing I should have put the burgundy piece on at the bottom before putting the yellow piece on the side!
Placing the burgundy piece.
Flipping the burgundy piece to lay face down over the centre piece for stitching along the edge of the template.
Pinned for stitching.
Restitching the yellow piece.
Setting up placement of the rosy piece.
Positioned for stitching.
Rosy piece stitched and pressed, and the last template piece lined up.
Green piece positioned. Oops! The burgundy piece should have overlapped the green.
The burgundy partly un-stitched so the green could be stitched down.
Stitching the burgundy down over the green.
Trimming the 1″ border off the quilt block.
Using my ATG (adhesive transfer gun) to adhere the edges since they would not be enclosed in a seam.
Ready for embroidery! I just realized I should have trimmed the burgundy where it under laid the yellow. Oh well!
With a time constraint to get the card into the mail that afternoon, I didn’t take time to photograph the process of embroidering the piece, but it was fun. I learned five new embroidery stitches: feather, elongated feather, french knot, rosette chain stitch and fly stitch. I also used the chain, tacked herringbone and blanket stitches. I attached the quilt block to the cardstock using the ATG.
If I had had a few more hours I would have done more embroidery and added some bead work, but to get the card to Ontario within the week I could delay mailing it no longer.
Crazy quilts were popular in the late 1800’s, up till the early 1900’s. Nan was born in 1912, so I thought the crazy quilt would be perfect to commemorate her 103rd birthday!